Quartz overlay worktops need only a little daily maintenance like other worktops to keep them looking their best.
These worktops are crafted from a blend of crushed natural quartz, high-performance polymer resin, and a hint of pigment. Quartz overlay worktops are a man-made engineered stone, they offer a stunning yet resilient countertop solution for your kitchen.
Boasting exceptional heat resistance, scratch resistance, and a non-porous surface, quartz overlay worktops are designed to withstand the rigours of daily kitchen life. Their low-maintenance nature and aesthetic appeal make them a popular choice among homeowners.
There is massive choice when it comes to these worktops to suit all kitchen styles.
Ensure that you care for your quartz overlay worktops will help them remain in impeccable condition for years to come, here are six essential tips to consider:
Table of Contents
Avoid Placing Excessively Hot Items Directly on the Worktop
While quartz worktops are celebrated for their exceptional heat resistance, it’s crucial not to take this attribute for granted.
Placing scalding hot pots and pans directly on the worktop surface can lead to unsightly scorch marks that are challenging to remove. To safeguard your worktop, always use kitchen mats, coasters, or trivets as protective barriers between hot items and the surface.
Like any kitchen surface, whether it be granite, marble, wood or laminate they all require you to ensure they don’t come into direct heat, especially with pans directly off the hob.
With a little care for your quartz overlay worktop, it should last you many years to come and always look its best.
Thoroughly Dry Wipe After Wet Cleaning
Regular wet wiping is an effective method for keeping your quartz worktops clean and free from daily debris.
However, overlooking the crucial step of dry wiping after wet cleaning can lead to watermarks that accumulate over time. To maintain your worktop’s glossy finish, invest a few extra minutes in thoroughly drying the surface after wet cleaning.
Best Methods for Cleaning Quartz Overlay Worktops:
- Use a Soft Cloth: When it comes to cleaning your quartz overlay worktops, a soft, lint-free cloth or a microfiber towel is your best friend. These materials are gentle on the surface and won’t scratch or damage it while ensuring a streak-free shine.
- Warm, Soapy Water: For daily cleaning, a solution of warm water and a mild, neutral pH detergent or dish soap is highly effective and safe. Avoid using abrasive or acidic cleaners, as they can harm the surface’s finish.
- Gentle Circular Motions: When wiping down your worktop, employ gentle circular motions. This method helps dislodge and lift away any dirt, grease, or residue without applying excessive force that might scratch the surface.
- Rinse Thoroughly: After cleaning with soapy water, make sure to rinse the worktop thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. Soap buildup can lead to a cloudy or dull appearance.
- Dry Immediately: After washing and rinsing, dry the worktop with a clean, dry cloth or paper towels. This step is crucial to prevent water spots and streaks from forming as the surface dries naturally.
- Avoid Abrasive Pads: Never use abrasive scrubbing pads or scouring powders on your quartz overlay worktops. These abrasive materials can scratch the surface and diminish its shine.
Use a Chopping Board When Preparing Food
While quartz worktops are renowned for their scratch resistance, using the worktop as a cutting surface for chopping, dicing, or slicing can result in visible scratches and stains over time. To protect your worktop from unnecessary wear and tear, always use a chopping board when preparing food.
Promptly Address Spills
Even though quartz worktops are forgiving with spills, allowing them to remain on the surface for an extended period can make them more challenging to clean and may lead to permanent stains or marks. Be proactive in wiping up spills as soon as they occur to prevent such issues.
To care for your quartz overlay worktop it doesn’t have to cause you too much of a problem. Like all kitchen worktop surfaces you just need to be mindful that incorrect or poor cleaning can result in issues.
All food and spills should be wiped away immediately, especially foods that are high in colour or that are acidic such as tomatoes, vinegars or white wine.
Perform Daily Disinfection and Polish Sparingly
To keep your quartz overlay worktops looking their absolute best, consider using a quartz-specific polish as part of your maintenance routine. This step is particularly useful if you want to enhance the natural shine of your worktop and provide an additional layer of protection against daily wear and tear.
Here’s how to use quartz-specific polish effectively:
- Select a High-Quality Quartz Polish: Start by choosing a reputable quartz polish designed specifically for engineered stone surfaces. Look for products that are non-abrasive and formulated to enhance the lustre of quartz.
- Clean the Surface First: Before applying the polish, ensure that your worktop is clean and free from any loose debris or residues. Use a mild, neutral pH detergent and warm water to clean the surface. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Apply the Polish Sparingly: Using a clean, soft cloth or a microfiber applicator pad, apply a small amount of quartz polish to the worktop’s surface. It’s important not to overdo it – a little goes a long way.
- Buff the Surface: With the polish applied, use gentle, circular motions to buff the worktop. This action helps distribute the polish evenly and brings out the surface’s natural shine. Continue buffing until the polish is fully absorbed.
- Remove Excess Polish: After buffing, use a separate clean cloth to remove any excess polish from the surface. Ensure that the worktop is left with a clean, streak-free shine.
- Repeat as Needed: Depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations and the amount of daily use your worktop receives, consider applying the quartz polish every few weeks or as needed. Be cautious not to overuse the polish, as this can lead to a buildup of product on the surface.
Always read the label of any cleaning product to ensure it is suitable for the care of your quartz overlay worktop. NEVER use harsh chemicals like bleach!!
Care For Your Quartz Overlay Kitchen Worktop By Seeking Professional Advice
Caring for your quartz overlay worktops may seem straightforward, but it’s always wise to seek professional advice. Certified manufacturers or experts can provide invaluable guidance on the right cleaning products and methods for your specific worktop. Consulting with professionals ensures that you’re caring for your worktop properly and making the most of your investment.
If you opt to have a beautiful quartz overlay worktop installed by Kitchen Makeover Expert, we will advise you on the best cleaning and care methods to keep your new countertops looking stunning and in tip-top condition.
Congratulations on choosing the beauty and durability of quartz overlay worktops for your kitchen! These engineered stone surfaces can truly transform your cooking space into a stylish and functional hub. To ensure you enjoy their benefits to the fullest and keep them looking their best, let’s recap some friendly and practical tips.
Avoiding common mistakes, like using hot pans directly on the surface or forgetting to dry wipe after cleaning, is key to maintaining the pristine appearance and hygiene of your worktop. Remember, your quartz overlay worktops are sturdy but deserve a little TLC.
Consider adding a touch of extra shine and protection with quartz-specific polish. It’s like giving your worktops a spa day – they’ll thank you with a brilliant shine!
By following these simple yet effective tips, your quartz overlay worktops will continue to be the star of your kitchen, providing not only functionality but also timeless elegance. So, go ahead, enjoy your beautiful kitchen, and let your quartz worktops shine for generations to come! Happy cooking!